Holy Cross Super Speciality Hospital already passed 56 years of its glorious existence in the field of health care. It has earned a niche for itself as a paragon of health care for its noble and selfless service. The Hospital offer holistic treatment to all, especially the rural folk in the suburban areas irrespective of their financial status.
An attempt to trace the genesis of this great centre of health care leads us to the “Golden Age” of the Travancore rulers. His Highness Sree Moolam Thirunal Ramavarma, the Maharaja of Travancore was noted for his benevolent humanism and great concern for his subjects. Hence the Maharaja sought the help of then Bishop Benziger of Kollam in getting missionary sisters for the government hospitals in Kerala.
In response to this request, the Bishop a Swiss by nationally, gave the distress call to the Holy Cross Sisters from Menzingen, a town in Switzerland. The Holy Cross Sisters came to Kerala in 1906. Four of them served in the District Hospital, Kollam while four others joined the General Hospital, Trivandrum. In the following years, many more sisters from Switzerland, Italy, Germany and England joined the mission. Several Indian sisters also joined them. Today, they work at the Leprosy Sanatorium, Noornad, District Hospital and Victoria Hospital, Kollam, District Hospital, Kannur, Women and Children’s Hospital, Thycaud and General Hospital, Trivandrum.